Monday, May 21, 2007

New Food Discovery

I discovered this old traditional dish last Friday. It is called Ham Cha. It sounds like "Salted Tea" in cantonese. Don't know what Ham Cha exactly means but I think it is a family dish by the Hokkiens. It looks like this. Sorry. Picture was;t great. Taken with my new Treo and found out that the camera wasn't as good as I expected but it will do for the moment.


Ham Cha is a vegetarian dish. It comprises of corns, rice, nuts, some weeds and other weird vegetables that I don't even know what their names. It comes with a mint soup but I disliked its taste so I just eat it dry (and it's cheaper without the soup). And I liked it. It is high in fibre so I think it is good for me since I've been shitting* blood for the pass 2 weeks. I had Ham Cha for lunch everyday since Sat and guess what? No more blood on my shit* today.

Proper words to use
* passing out
** stool
but I still like to use the word shit better....everybody knows what it means...

9 comments:

K.K. said...

"Ham Cha" or "Lui Cha", is a Hakka cuisine, and whether a Ham Cha dish is good depends very much on the minty, greenish-brown tea. Ham Cha is normally eaten by mixing the tea soup into the rice. Best!

I remember I didn't quite like this dish when introduced as a kid. Well, I guess to like Lui Cha is an acquired taste. Any good Ham Cha plc in Seremban?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info. I always got confused between Hakka and Hokkien esp their dialects. I'm a 'San Wui', a rare breed in Malaysia. Even my dad doesn't speak the dialect anymore.

The Ham Cha I ate was from the Blossom Food Court. If you've tried better ones do let me know.

K.K. said...

the many good Ham Cha i had are all in KL area. will try the blossom one out. "San Wui"... rare indeed. First time i heard bout it.

tks for de router shop info. my mate managed to locate CY Ho, he's searching for our lost router now.

Jonzz said...

Aiya kok hon, i think the one in the Rasah Jaya food court is better. LOL!

sbanboy said...

Wow the ham cha worked for you ... hehe

Unknown said...

There is one at Rasah Jaya Food Court? Are they open at night? Am on a Ham Cha craze. I've been having it 4 days straight already.

Anonymous said...

never eaten nor seen this before.

静诗 said...

Hi Kok Hon,
Have you try the traditional chinese food in Mantin? The rice cake called Woon Chai Kou. If not mistaken, the shop calls as Old Mantin.

Janaka said...

Old Mantin has a website: www.oldmantin.com, must try if you are serious about traditional foods.