Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Gold Supermarket Seremban: Now The Store Seremban

This is one of my on-going The Heritage Trail blog post series. Read my disclaimer here first :D. This is article No. 4.

In the 80's Seremban people like to associate buildings or places to gold. This is evident with the shopping malls like Punca Emas (Gold Source), Gama (I presumed the chinese name is Golden Horse) down to housing areas like Taman Mas (Golden Garden) or Taman Bukit Emas (Golden Hill Garden). The word "Gold" is virtually almost everywhere in Seremban. And this shopping mall I am talking about today is no different.

My earliest collection of this building was back somewhere around 1987. I remember this building was an empty building then. Then someone started a Haunted House themed-park with it and it attracted teenage students in droves with its entrance fee of just 50sen. I was green with envy of my two elder sisters able to visit the theme park and I just get to hear stories of how fun and scary the theme park was.
Old Gold Shopping Center
But it didn't stay that way for long. Soon the theme park closed down and the building is haunted again :D But somewhere around 1988 a new shopping center sprang up and it's called GOLD SHOPPING CENTER. I remember the building used to have a big yellow sign of the word GOLD on it's little tower.

It became a very popular very quickly as it is the first shopping mall that carries branded fashion apparels in Seremban. My family shopped often in this place and it's our favorite Chinese New Year shopping outlet every single year. (my family finances has miraculously bounced back then, but that's a story for another day)

Gold Shopping center expanded very quickly. In a short few years, it built another 4-story high shopping complex just at the other end of the street. It's popularity skyrocketed. It's was first shopping mall with fast food joint, even more fashion apparel choices and a row of food delicacy outlet made it the perfect shopping center our little Seremban town. Seremban began to give it a new nick name: Old Gold (Gau Wong Kam) for the first shopping center and New Gold (San Wong Kam) for the newer mall. 

Most of my CNY shopping in my teenage years are done in the newer mall. I remember I got my first 'expensive' watch at this place. It's a chrome silver Bonia watch with a white face. I got it when my mom got two pants for me for and got the watch at a special price of RM50. That watch last me a few years before it gave up it's ghost. I still had the watch with me till today somewhere safely tucked in the drawers. 

Here is where I had my first taste of herbal eggs. Herbal eggs are basically  hard boiled eggs in black herbal soup, cooked for many hours so that the aroma and the goodness of the herbs seeps into the eggs. I fell in love with those eggs ever since and it's a must have every single time we shop at this mall.

New Gold Shopping Center
I don't remember when but I think somewhere in 1994 Gold Shopping Center changed hands and it was renamed to The Store shopping center. Today, both malls are still operating but the nick name remains. Just ask any Seremban-nian chinese - "Where is San Wong Kam (New Gold) ? and they will point you to the right direction. Only Seremban newbies will call it The Store.

My wife & I still shop there once a while. Though it's little old, we find it still has something else to offer in the midst of other shopping malls. There are certain clothing or kitchenware available here and not anywhere else. And the best thing is their prices are still Seremban prices - cheap and good :D

4 comments:

Kay81 said...

I think it is called Gold because it sold gold accessories initially.

Ahh... we spent countless hours at kau wong kam before/after school since it's just across the street.

Unknown said...

It's been interesting reading your blog since I'm from S'ban myself. After many years away, I'm back here again. Some things have changed and some things haven't.
Have you blogged about the library yet? Too bad it is no more at that historical building in the lake gardens.

Unknown said...

Kay81: Thanks for the added information. I didn't know that one.

Lian: Welcome to my blog. I haven't blogged about the public library yet, but it will be on the list.

ROSELINE DAVIDSON said...









i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346















































































































































































hindi ako makapaniwala na kailanman ay muling makiisa ako sa aking kasintahan, labis akong na-trauma sa pananatiling nag-iisa na walang katawan na manatili sa akin at makakasama ko, ngunit napakasuwerte ako sa isang tiyak na araw upang matugunan ito malakas na spell caster na si Dr Akhere, matapos sabihin sa kanya ang tungkol sa aking sitwasyon ginawa niya ang lahat ng makataong posible upang makita na ang aking kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin, sa katunayan matapos na ihagis ang spell ang aking dating kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin ng mas mababa sa 48 oras, dumating ang dating kasintahan ko. bumalik sa pagmamakaawa sa akin na hindi na niya ako pababayaan, 3 buwan mamaya kami ay nakipag-ugnay at nag-asawa, kung nagkakaroon ka ng parehong sitwasyong ito makipag-ugnay lamang kay Dr Akhere sa kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com maraming salamat sa sir sa pagpapanumbalik ng aking dating kasintahan bumalik sa akin, ang kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp: +2349057261346