Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tan Brother's Supermarket: Old But Thriving



This is one of my on-going The Heritage Trail blog post series. Read my disclaimer here first :D. This is article No. 5.

Among all the new shopping malls that sprang up in Seremban town, it's easy to forget this once a popular shopping outlet for the budget conscious. Even though it's old, Tan Brother's Supermarket is still thriving against its more popular competitors.

The older generation called it "Chew Jau Wui Koon". Again, the chinese name doesn't make any sense to me. Having attended only at a Malay medium school, it was only  years later I understood that "Chew Jau Wui Koon" means  The Association of the Chew Clan (yes, my chinese vocabulary is very bad). The supermarket is located just below the association, hence the local name.

Tan Brother's Supermarket Seremban.
Every year before the school reopens for the new year semester my parents would bring us here to shop for our school uniform. School bags, shoes, uniform, writing utensils all are available at the very affordable price. This supermarket turns into a carnival-like atmosphere with back-to-school slogans and discount signs everywhere.

I still remember back then the supermarket has no air-conditioning. Only fans on the ceiling and it's hot at day and humid at night. But we would spend hours in there and the excitement of getting a pair of new school shoes and uniform makes me and my siblings forget that we are practically sitting inside a large cooking oven. Even that I actually did all my school uniform shopping here till I graduate secondary school.

It's just located next to The Store Seremban (New Gold)
This supermarket is still operating till this day, serving a pool of its loyal customers. The last time I ventured into it was a couple years ago.  It's a tad cleaner and neater with some interior renovation but still with the ceiling fans. 

Perhaps one day I could still shop for school outfits for my child in the future at this place again.

The GPS coordinate of this place is 02° 43.542' E101° 56.228' and it's situated just beside the The Store Seremban (New).

3 comments:

déjà vu said...

Your Chew Jau Wui Goon has nothing to do with the Chews lah... it's Teo Chiu Association.

Ruggedmom com said...

I shop for my children school uniform here too. It's cheap if compare to shopping malls.

ROSELINE DAVIDSON said...









i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346















































































































































































hindi ako makapaniwala na kailanman ay muling makiisa ako sa aking kasintahan, labis akong na-trauma sa pananatiling nag-iisa na walang katawan na manatili sa akin at makakasama ko, ngunit napakasuwerte ako sa isang tiyak na araw upang matugunan ito malakas na spell caster na si Dr Akhere, matapos sabihin sa kanya ang tungkol sa aking sitwasyon ginawa niya ang lahat ng makataong posible upang makita na ang aking kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin, sa katunayan matapos na ihagis ang spell ang aking dating kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin ng mas mababa sa 48 oras, dumating ang dating kasintahan ko. bumalik sa pagmamakaawa sa akin na hindi na niya ako pababayaan, 3 buwan mamaya kami ay nakipag-ugnay at nag-asawa, kung nagkakaroon ka ng parehong sitwasyong ito makipag-ugnay lamang kay Dr Akhere sa kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com maraming salamat sa sir sa pagpapanumbalik ng aking dating kasintahan bumalik sa akin, ang kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp: +2349057261346